Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Reflections of '08

As I sit here in my kitchen with just the Christmas lights on and a cup of coffee (not for effect, but I'm not ready to be awake, but am anyway) I am wondering where this whole year went. Last year at this time, I was 8 months pregnant and we still hadn't chosen a name for our little boy, Alexandar was just a little over a year old. I know every parent asks "where does the time go?" and its true. I now look at Benjamin and am realizing I still see him as a tiny baby that needs someone to do everything for him. In reality, he is walking everywhere and perfectly capable of getting into just as many things as his brother did at his age. Just yesterday I was putting groceries away and Benjamin is very interested in the food (that boy can be in the back of the house and if I try to sneak a little snack, he has this 6th sense that food is around and comes out to investigate, not kidding!) and pulls open the drawer full of fruit and starts pulling oranges out. Since he's keeping occupied and not screaming to eat, I just let him go. He manages to get 4 or 5 out on the floor and then decides that the trash looks like a great place for this orange balls he has discovered do not taste so great. Yeah, he tried biting into the peel. Next thing I hear is the sound of something hitting the trash bag. Fortunately, I had just put a new bag in and was able to save the orange, but I then decided to close up the fridge before he found something breakable inside to play with.



My point with that story is that Benjamin is quickly leaving the baby stage and plowing fully ahead towards "toddler-hood." He can sleep through the night, he understands no and listens, he quickly learns new toys and how they work, he's starting pushing his trucks and tractors along the floor instead of just in his mouth, and everything that is a bowl or similarly shaped gets put on his head for a hat. I am so blessed that I call this treasure of a child "my son."



I've never been much of one for making a large list of resolutions on the first of every year, mainly because in a few months, they are long forgotten and seemed silly. However, I'd like to try and make a few this year and maybe by posting them, it will remind me to keep up with them.



1. Say "yes" to more things. I like to have household rules and order, but there are times when I could relax them a bit. Not to say that I never say yes, just that I could do it more.



2. Read my Bible more frequently.

3. Do more for others.

I think I'll just stick with 3. It's a good number... not to overwhelming but should be just right.

Happy New Year... May 2009 be one of the best years yet!!

No comments: