Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I like it... or maybe I don't

I believe all would agree that supporting breast cancer awareness is a worthy cause, right?  No one would argue that raising money for researchers to find a cure isn't noble.  But what about the methods used to raise awareness?

If you have an account on Facebook, then more than likely, you've noticed a status message that starts, "I like it..." with various endings such as, "on the floor" or "on the doorknob."  A provocative message, to be sure, however the writer isn't suggesting something sexual.  Rather, they are saying where they put their purse.  The campaign is meant to raise awareness for breast cancer.  Huh???

Until reading through a post on facebook today, I didn't realize what the point of the "I like it" comments were meant to be.  For the past few weeks, many of those messages had appeared in on my home page, and of the many comments they illicit, not once did I see the writer give the explanation that they were supporting breast cancer awareness.  Last year's campaign involved leaving the color of your bra in your status.  This e-mail I did receive, but no where did it mention that the purpose was to raise awareness. 

We all know that sex sells, but does it have to?

After reading the post, commenting myself, I decided to Google "breast cancer awareness."  The "I like it" campaign has articles written by such publications as Time Magazine and on CBS.  The article in Time, rather surprising, sided with more conservative view.  The writer for CBS essentially felt that there were better ways to raise awareness.  While most of the viewpoints shared by either of the mentioned media outlets are generally liberal, it was quite refreshing to read that they felt an "I like it" post was an absurd way to raise awareness.

As Christians, don't we have a responsibility to keep our words pure, especially when you think of the audience reading what you are typing.  Chances are, if you are on facebook, some of your friends are young teens, or single guys.  What message does that send to them, especially if they don't realize the intent behind your post?  And even if someone does know why you are posting "I like it...", do you really want that image in their mind?

So please, raise cancer awareness all October long!  Just find a way that it a bit more G-rated.  Like turn your facebook picture pink.

No comments: