Monday, October 4, 2010

Is It Just Me?

So rarely do the kids sleep long enough that I get to catch any sort of news in the morning before I'm bombarded with breakfast requests, dirty diapers, and getting everyone dressed, but this morning happened to be an exception.  I used to watch the Today Show every morning in college while getting ready for classes.  I enjoyed the humor and upbeat, although quite liberal, viewpoints of Matt Laurer and Katie Couric.  So, when I get a chance, I grab a cup of coffee and catch up on the news.  Even if is is now Meredith Viera

One of Today's guests was comedian, actress, and author, Whoopi Goldberg.  She recently had her book "Is It Just Me? Or Is It Nuts Out There?" published and was sharing some details.  In her interview with Matt, he cuts right to controversial point in her book where (and as I have not read and refuse to purchase her book, a loose translation) she actually suggests we should teach our children to say the f-word instead of "idiot" or "stupid."  She claims that the f-word has no meaning to her, therefore it doesn't hurt to hear it.  She claims that telling a child they are stupid cuts deeper than if they were to be sworn at using the f- word.

Really?

I'm not sure I can share in her line of logic here.  Correction:  I ABSOLUTELY cannot share in her line of logic.  I'm all for teaching children to be respectful to others and promoting programs that arm children with tools for dealing with bullies.  I realize Americans are more conservative in their usage of the f*bomb than countries such as England and the rest of Europe, so I certainly don't feel the following consersations will take place in Suburbia anytime soon.


Mother:  Johnny, when you go to school today, I don't want you using the word "stupid" when you talk to your friends.


Johnny:  Ok, mom...  I won't.  I promise.  But what's wrong with saying "stupid?"


Mother:  Well, Johnny, when we call our friends "stupid" it really hurts their feelings.  If someone is called "stupid" over and over again, it can really deflate their self-esteem.


Johnny:  But what if someone is really acting stupid?  What should I say instead?


Mother:  Well, I was reading this book, and I've decided you should tell other kids to "go f* yourself" or "you're f-in' ridiculous" instead.  Because hearing "f- you" isn't going to hurt their feelings like being told they are stupid will.


Johnny:  I always thought saying the f-word was a bad word.  Can I say the other f-word too?


Mother:  Johnny!!  No!!  Fart is still a naughty word!!


Logic??  I think not!

Now, I did attempt to read through the excerpt posted on MSN, but the grammar and lack of substance had me skimming, looking for anything of real "meat and potatoes."  Sadly, I found none.  Rambling through a paragraph of text that reads as if it's being quoted from "The View" does not leave me feeling as if I've read some really sound advice or view.  Sure, I can agree that a tough stand on drunk driving should be in full force.  However, when the writing doesn't have a measure of intelligence, it's difficult to stand on common ground.  Now, I'm not trying to bash Whoopi here.  Not my point.  I'm simply trying to say that if you have published material where you come out swinging with both fists, it should at least sound intelliegent and a little more formal.

The following is quoted from the synopsis on Barnes and Noble's website.

"Have you noticed that things aren’t as civil as they once were? Or that rudeness is no longer an exception but a lifestyle? Sure you have. All you need to do is set foot outside your door to see that bad manners are taking over everywhere."

Based on that segment there, how can she possibly make the arguement that the f-word is a far better way to tell someone they're stupid?  Wouldn't that be considered the opposite of civil and thought to be vulgar and rude?

Hhhhmmmm, Whoopi....  don't you think it might be better to teach children not to name-call instead of replacing their vernacular with language that most consider to be quite inappropriate??

No comments: