Wednesday, October 15, 2008

New Job possibility...

I had an interview today for a part time job. It certainly sounds like something I am interested in. I'll be working under DHS (Department of Human Services) and my basic job is a Parent Educator. I believe the program is called Great Start for Great Families. I will be doing home visits and working with parents on issues of concern such as discipline, child sleep patterns, biting.... essentially any concern parents have of their child ages birth to 5. A small part of my job will be keeping up the web, but that is only a few hours. What is absolutely wonderful is that it's all on my own schedule and I won't be keeping office hours! In a 2 week time, I will log 30 hours, have approximately 8 clients and so only 8 of those hours would need to be outside of home. It won't be as much as we were hoping, but it will certainly help. What is also very important is that it is something I'm very interested in. I do miss my classroom (although I didn't think I'd say that when I moved from Georgia) but I was always frustrated because I couldn't do more for the needy kids in my class. I could present to them all that the state required that I teach, but if their other basic needs weren't met first, there is no way it would sink in. If that child hasn't had breakfast or they couldn't sleep because of all the yelling, what years the Revolutionary War took place didn't make a bit of difference to them. So by being able to educate parents those kids will have such a better shot in life. I'm really excited about being able to start this new job, but still be able to stay mostly at home. What a blessing!!

1 comment:

Amanda Pittman said...

Sounds like a perfect fit! A lady I know is thinking of opening a business herself that does just this kind of thing. And the hours! Wow! How exciting for you:)